Wednesday, March 20, 2013

The thing about others' paths


So the thing about everyone’s individual path is, it is always right for them. As a spiritual seeker, I sometimes find myself falling into the trap of judging others for their missteps, and making judgments about the path another person has chosen. The typical judgment would be toward the speed or ease of another’s path. I.e., “Doesn’t he see that he is creating his own reality with his limiting beliefs?”; “Why doesn’t she practice yoga?”; “He should eat better”; “She would be happier and find peace more quickly if she just let go”; etc.


But how can we possibly know that our path is the best? Judgments of another’s path don’t make sense because the path is all about the journey; we are all headed toward the same destination but will experience the journey in a way that is unique and best-suited for us. It would be like saying my way of going for a mountain hike is the best because it is the quickest, and ignoring the fact that another route may have some very interesting twists and turns that would be missed by taking the shorter route.


Or, it would be like saying one movie is better than another movie because it is shorter! We would be ignoring all of the beautiful emotion and artistry that is invoked by watching the drama unfold on its own time.


You may find, as I have, that heartbreak follows unfulfilled expectations which come when others do not live up to the impossible ideals we have set for them. It can be difficult, but letting go of the judgments of others and giving them enough respect to live their own lives makes interactions with other humans a lot less heartbreaking.

We are all artists, and we create the artwork of our lives through our actions and beliefs. Even a person who seems to be creating a life of misery that could easily be avoided by following some of my poignant advice deserves my respect enough to let them create their art their way. And I hope I will receive the same respect in turn.

One thing I’ve learned from my career as an attorney is that almost anything can be argued either way. In other words, there is always an argument that can be found to support any proposition. Just because I believe it is best to do things one way, and can give several good arguments as to why I am right, does not mean that the same thing cannot be argued another way, with several good points to support that argument. We have to learn to start separating humans from their arguments, their judgments, and just love them for them. I have a tendency, which many humans suffer from, where I tend to dislike someone just because I disagree with the way they judge reality. How is that fair when reality can be judged in countless different ways, and our individual versions of reality are almost totally conditional upon our unique, individual life experience?

I believe that human interactions become easier when we start to recognize that every person acts in a way that makes sense to them, based upon their judgments of reality, which, again, come from their life experience and unique make up. You may agree with me. Or you may not. I'll try to love you for you either way.


Check out my new and improved website: www.theyogalawyer.com

4 comments:

  1. I love this...
    But, this is difficult to accept sometimes. What about when it comes to harming others? I'm all about the concept of accepting people and their particular journey—until they hurt someone, until they hurt me or those I love.

    Without accountability, people can hurt each other and affect the journey of others. Of course, you might say that the universe gives it back to them. You might argue that their actions have real and present ramifications. Heck, even many Christians believe in the concept of free will. If God allows free will, why can't we?

    But, this is something that troubles me; The cheating spouse. The murderer who blows up a school. The bully in your office. Sometimes their journey comes at the expense of others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Tammy! I know what you are saying. It is easier to accept this philosophy when applied to the not-so-bad things, but more difficult when we look at the extremes like the murderer or bully.

    And I'm certainly not suggesting that society should not place consequences on actions. That is the function of society, really. In a sense, it is ok to place judgments on another's actions to prevent hurt and to allow society to function. However, I think there is a difference between judging actions and condemning another person.

    The bully probably has all sorts of stuff going on in her own head; judgments about her own self worth based upon her experiences as a child that cause her to act that way. And imagine how fucked up that murderer's head must be! It must have been miserable to be him.

    It may come down to whether we believe that humankind is inherently good, or whether we believe in the concept of evil. (I think I have a blog percolating in my brain regarding the whole idea of "evil.") I would suggest leaving space for the possibility that we are all divine at our core. That we are all made up of the same "stuff" - call it consciousness, divinity, ether, prana, chi, God - sort of like we are all cells in the infinite cosmic body of God. If that is true, then how can any other being or thing made up of this stuff be evil? There can be relative evil, sure, but inherent evil? Sorry, sort of a tangent there...

    But I definitely know what you are saying. Sometimes, when dealing with the cheating spouse, the murderer, the bully, actions must be taken. You may leave the cheating husband, sentence the murderer, stand up to the bully, etc. But try to feel some compassion wayyyyy deep down for the divinity that is at their core; and leave some space for the possibility that in their own fucked up way they are acting according to their own nature.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally. I absolutely dig being more in touch with our humanity...It's what I photograph and make work about. The grey areas of ontology keep me asking questions and I love that there are some paradoxes like this that are just left...unanswered.

    We make it our best way through this world and sometimes we harm others and sometimes we are the victim of this destruction. Love your blog...You ask big questions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you love the blog. I love the dialogue. Keep asking questions, I dig the back and forth. Your statement "sometimes we harm others and sometimes we are the victims of this destruction" is so true. It reminds me of the Eurhythmics: "some of them want to abuse you, some of them want to be abused." Indeed it is all a part of the sweet dream of existence. Words ultimately fail to describe it...

    ReplyDelete